Promotion is a must in any writer’s career and online venues are one of the fastest growing mediums. If you’re a recently published author â€“ self or traditionally published â€“ you have to promote yourself to get your name out into the public. If you’re a previously published author, you have to promote to keep your name out in the public.
Book promotion is a constant as a writer. In fact, its how you get people to know about you and read your writing, and readers are what writers and authors really love.
Online magazine promotion is one form of promoting your books or writing that can be a great marketing tool. If done right it can be highly effective. There are five general ways that you can promote your books or writing using online magazines, all of which will help you promote your book or writing.
1. Paid Advertisement or Classified Ad â€“ Every magazine, even those on the web, is always looking for advertisement. Itâ€™s how they pay their bills. Likewise, many magazines have a classifieds section. You can use either one of these avenues to help you promote your books. Check out their rates and see what packages fit into your budget. If they donâ€™t have anything that works with your budget, contact them, and see if they have any specials for the month or can offer you a promotional deal that wonâ€™t break you. Often, the classifieds are free or extremely cheap and they are read by your target audience â€“ subscribers of the magazine.
2. Monthly Columnist â€“ Some online magazines look for monthly columnists. This is your chance to write about the special topic only you know about. Share your wisdom with their readership and at the end of your column donâ€™t forget your bio, which can include a short blurb about your latest book and a link to your site/blog. Check out your favorite online magazines and see if theyâ€™re in the need for a columnist or send an intro letter to the editor and offer your services.
3. Contribute an Article â€“ If the online magazine doesnâ€™t need a regular columnist, they are always looking for new content. They normally allow you to feature a byline and a short bio. This is an excellent way to share your knowledge with readers. It will introduce your writing abilities and place your name in readerâ€™s minds. Use a query letter or email to approach an online magazine.
4. Host a Workshop â€“ Some online magazines like to host special events for their readers. Workshops are a good way to introduce yourself and your book. Do you have a skill you can teach? Readers are looking for new things to learn. You can be the person who offers these types of workshops. You might even make a few extra dollars in the process, or be invited to speak or teach in other avenues.
5. Visitor/Member Community â€“ Donâ€™t underestimate making a comment or becoming a member of a magazine community â€“ often called a forum. Members like meeting other members. Some magazines offer extra perks to their members, such as free promotions for being a member.
Make comments on the magazineâ€™s blog and make sure to always include your links. This is a good way for readers to learn about you and if theyâ€™re curious, they click through to your site.
Online magazine promotion is worth the cost:
- You reach your niche market.
- Most promotions are archived, so itâ€™s not just a one time promotion.
- Your promotion can be viewed by readers for a whole year or more.
- You build your reputation as an expert on certain topics.
- New readers learn about you and your book.
- You build a network with different online editors.
Check out your favorite online magazines and see how they can help you reach new readers and promote your books or writing.
Peter N. Jones is the Director of the Bauu Institute and Press. More book marketing tips and online promotion resources can be found on the Bauu Institute and Press Marketing page here: Marketing Your Writing and Books Online. For comments or questions you can reach Peter via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.