When it comes to media lists, collect as many names as possible. The more names included on your list, the greater your chances of getting your story told. Creating and maintaining your contact list of media and other individuals who may help you publicize your product of service is one of the most important things you can do for your business. The suggestions below will help you get started:
- Jot down the names of members of the media and interesting people and how they might help.
- Form the habit of making notes and collecting names. Always carry a small notebook and pen.
- List the names of ever person you know who might remotely help.
- Study the media to discover who’s covering your field and add them to your list.
- Ask your friends, family, and business associates for names to add to your list.
- Ask everyone you meet for his or her business card.
- Toss all you notebook entries and business cards in a bowl, box or file drawer and set aside a specific time each week to organize them, add new entries and revise your list. Insert comments on how you met, mutual friends or any other information that might help you break the ice when you contact them.
Some good Internet services that give the names and contact information for media people are:
Cision Medialist Online – http://www.cision.com/
MediaMap Online – http://www.mediamaponline.com
Media Finder – http://www.mediafinder.com
Online Public Relations – http://www.online-pr.com
Burrelle’s Media Directory – http://www.burrelles.com/indexmd.html
Reprinted from “Rick Frishman’s Author 101 Newsletter”
Subscribe at http://www.author101.com and receive Rick’s “Million Dollar Rolodex”
Get your own custom media list created for you.