This is one of the most common questions people ask me (after where can I buy your book and how much is your pay cheque?). It’s great to know that there are many story-tellers amongst us and heartwarming when they share their book ideas with me.
Below are my tips and resources:
1. Write a book synopsis. It should include:
- Theme of book
- Market research
- Benefits for the audience
- Your credentials
- Include a draft of your first chapter
2. Find a publisher
- Make sure you pick a suitable one who will be interested in your book theme. No point sending a non-fiction book summary to a publisher that does primarily children storybooks.
- You can check local book councils for a comprehensive list of publishers.
- Do your research from their websites and check their book titles. Then find the contact email and send your synopsis. It’s better to send to a few short-listed publishers.
3. You may want to go with a smaller outfit as they may respond faster and be more easy-going. Most importantly, you must feel comfortable with your publisher and see eye-to-eye on the book direction.
Good luck! Feel free to drop me an email if you need more advice.
Pearlin Siow is author of business motivational book, Boss of Me! which features 20 outstanding entrepreneurs in Singapore. For more business information, go to her blog, www.bossofmesingapore.blogspot.com. Boss of Me! is available on Amazon.com for $15.