I thought it would be a snap.
That’s what every author in the Wall Street Journal said when interviewed.
But as I discovered when writing “Reporters Are Looking For YOU!”, there are about 100 extra steps you never thought about. Here are a few:
1. Book cover has to fit many different sizes, from Kindle to Create Space. They all have different sizes and formats.
2. Amazon doesn’t automatically take your info and update your book page. You have to do that yourself. That makes sense. However, you have to figure out how to register and then load your info. Then you have to wait for the info to go live – which takes about a week. You need to plan your launch to coincide with this.
3. Just because Create Space says your book is done, that doesn’t mean it is immediately available on Amazon. It takes a few days for Amazon to process the info. Don’t start promoting your book until you know it is posted properly on Amazon and any other sites (i.e. Kindle, Nook).
4. Create Space is a wonderful tool to create your print on demand books. I love that it has a very fast and automatic tool to see if your interior pages or cover has any errors. What a godsend! Of course this means you have to fix every error…
5. Just because you use Create Space, doesn’t mean your book is available as a Kindle download on Amazon. That’s another step.
6. Just because you post your info to Kindle, doesn’t mean Kindle actually saves it! Be sure the info is saved. I had to do this several times before it took hold.
Publishing an ebook isn’t as easy as it looks.
The print version for my book, Reporters Are Looking for YOU! is also available on Amazon. You’ll learn how to get more publicity by responding to reporters who post their queries online through ProfNet, PR LEADS or any other online service. It’s a steal at only $9.99. I kept the price low to help you even more. There’s no reason to charge $97 or even $24 for a book any more. I don’t want to gouge my loyal followers. Tell your friends about it, please. Plus I promise to review any response you send to me and give you feedback to make it better!
Here’s the link to order Reporters Are Looking for YOU!
Dan Janal helps small businesses get publicity so they can sell more products. My clients get terrific results from my coaching, consulting, done-for-you services and do-it-yourself tools. For info, go to www.prleadsplus.com or call me at 952-380-1554.